Wednesday 8 September 2010

Sweden Part 2... a humbling experience

So after a summer of not a lot of sun back in England, I have returned to a surprisingly sunny Sweden. I have been back for just over a week know, after traveling for what seemed an eternity via Bus, Plane, Train and Ferry I finally made it to Helsingborg, which will be my new home until April time. I have upgraded from living in the small town of Orkelljunga to the bigger city of Helsingborg, where there are actual things to do after 5pm. After sleeping on one of my team mates sofa's for a few days, I got the keys to my new apartment that I am sharing with my American team mate. Its a decent apartment and has a dishwasher in so can't complain. So obviously we had to have a house warming party as the weekend just gone is our last free weekend for a month or so. Party was good fun, got to meet/bully/take the piss out of the two new oversea's players that have joined the Engelholm team. Including a wannabe geography teacher from Canada not knowing her US states. Was good to catch up with the other girls that I had become friends with over the past year and find out how their summers had been. After the Friday party, Saturday was a lazy day and Sunday we had been invited to take part in an event organised for children that have cancer or have had cancer.

So on Sunday morning we made the drive to a farm in the south of Sweden. The event its self is run by the guy who owns the farm and this was its 8th time of hosting it. Apart from our team being their, their was Malmo fc who are top of the Swedish football league, rally cars, motorbike display team, a robin hood play, live bands, entertainers, face painting, an orchestra, emergency services and the Swedish airforce. The whole point of the event is to put a smile on the kids face's and let the parents have a good time to. Their was 400 kids and 900 people in total at the event, they had come from Sweden, Poland and Lithuania. The language barrier was a bit tough but we got by and it was good to see all the kids enjoying themselves and getting them involved with volleyball. It was a humbling experience for myself and the rest of the team, and it put a lot of things into perspective and made me realise a lot of every day problems are superficial when you hear about the stories of the kids such as one girl has had to fight cancer twice and she has just turned 11 and another girl who has gone blind at the age of 6 and thankfully we seemed to make a good impression (especially our captain) on her and her family. Am glad that for the 6 or so hours we where their we brought a lot of joy to the bravest kids I have ever met.

Glädje

No comments:

Post a Comment